Along the Journey – Hand Picked Faves
It’s hard to believe that a whole month has gone by since our last visit here on Along the Journey. My goal has been to create a bi-monthly post so that you can get caught up on our recent tutorials and projects and YouTube videos.
But then things happen and I don’t get it done! Maybe once each month is a good idea. Who knows what the future holds! Thanks for being patient with me!
ready for spring?
Who’s ready for spring? Our Dwarf Korean Lilacs are! Look at those sweet little buds!
Have you started any spring-related projects? Have you been changing out your winter decor to bring a touch of spring to your home yet?
The projects have started here, but I haven’t exactly begun to add spring freshness to our home yet! One project I am working on for spring will show up here on the blog next week. You are going to love it!
upcycled thrift store projects
We’ve had some illness in our home for the last 4-5 weeks. My hubby had a bad chest cold and then, of course, it traveled over to me. That’s just part of marriage isn’t it? We share EVERYTHING!
It’s finally on its way out of the door. But I must admit, it didn’t hold us down. We still dove into some amazing projects over the last month.
I can’t wait for you to see them!
an old door and a fun hanging light
Hubby really jumped in and helped with projects while I was sick this past month. I seriously couldn’t have finished any of the upcycled and makeovers without him! Thanks, sweetie! BTW, we are getting ready to celebrate our 40th anniversary! Woohoo for commitment!
Even if I hadn’t been sick, hubby would have taken care of the electrical part of this rustic light fixture for our porch. He’s tried to teach me about using these hanging light kits, but my brain just won’t wrap itself around it! Thankfully, he is an expert!
Then one of the days that I laid around on the sofa with a terrible head cold, he took the time to cut an old door so we could make a faux fireplace for our bedroom! This project turned out so amazing! You are going to really enjoy it!
a chicken and a doorknob
Yep, that’s a chicken in an air fryer basket! We’ve got to eat around here, right?? Anyway, this easy Rotisserie Cornish Hen was made in our air fryer. It sounds fancy but seriously, it was the easiest dinner and so delicious!
Any guesses what that old wooden knob and brass backplate are on? I’m sure you will never guess! But this piece of outdated furniture we found while out on our travels was repurposed into the cutest storage unit that wouldn’t take up much space! You will never believe what this old piece of furniture is! And I am sure you will be looking for one to makeover for your home 🙂
Remember I mentioned that even though we were not feeling the best we pressed on with our projects? Well, I had just promised my YouTube subscribers that I would teach them how to reupholster this gorgeous antique chair. Then I caught my hubby’s cold!
It’s been a challenge but the chair is almost done! I have step-by-step videos showing you how to reupholster a chair like this that you may find while you are out thrifting or antique shopping. Even though the fabric looks gorgeous, it was dry-rotted and literally tearing away from the frame.
The series isn’t finished yet, but I have the playlist linked so that you can begin to watch the process! If you haven’t already, feel free to subscribe while you are over on YouTube. You can click either image below!
BTW, a blog post for the matching chair will be in the works for the blog too! Stay tuned for that tutorial!
Just before the yuckies came to visit our home, I had a chance to stop by our local thrift stores for a little shopping. I’m sharing the haul in the video below. Just click the image to watch!
Four of my blogging friends and I are getting together and sharing our hand-picked favorite finds just ‘four’ you! We will each be sharing four things we are currently loving and we know you will love them too!
You can check the links below for our faves and be sure to pop over to visit their blogs. Each of these ladies has a beautiful vintage-loving style like you and I do. I’m sure you will enjoy reading their posts!
Reinvented Delaware – Cindy
- If you have been watching my latest YouTube video series, then you know I am upholstering an antique chair. That’s why I’m loving my pneumatic staple gun and air compressor lately. These two tools make the job so much easier!
- My skin is drying out as I age so I looked for a new makeup remover that wouldn’t add to the problem. Bioderma Micellar Water has been the answer. I’m on my third bottle and I can’t recommend it enough! Along with cotton round pads that I purchase at the drugstore, Bioderma removes the makeup without drying out my skin!
- Do you use course sea salt and pepper? We do and I decided to get a new set of salt and pepper grinders for our table. It was a little splurge that I don’t mind making since I so often purchase items at the thrift store! The copper look of this set is just my style!
- Are your white towels and sheets getting dingy and yellow? I’ve used Mrs. Stewart’s Liquid Bluing to fix that problem. In fact, I need to do it again soon! It’s a great way to whiten your dingy whites and add a fresh look to white sheets, towels, and even white clothing!
Lora Bloomquist – Lora
- Spring decorating is happening in our home, but so far in a very subtle way. Green and brown accessories are joining white, like Spring trying to emerge from the snowy ground. Moss bunnies and mini topiaries are getting tucked in everywhere for a European potager vibe. Find cute moss bunnies and mini topiaries HERE, along with more Spring faves. (and follow my page while you’re there!)
- It’ll be awhile until we see grass here, but in the meantime, I love to burn THIS Fresh Cut Grass candle. We sold these in my former store; each is hand poured. I absolutely love this scent and love giving these candles as gifts, because they each have a verse on the label. Supporting small, local businesses is also dear to my heart;)
- Along with plenty of green, pops of yellow is like pouring the sunshine into my home! I picked up yellow daffodils and forsythia branches at Trader Joe’s when shopping, and my nose is so happy whenever I use the Daisy scent of Mrs. Meyers soaps. I also love the yellow labels! Find it HERE.
- Since we’ve got several months until gardening season begins, I love to use this time to revive furniture pieces for our home. I’m painting 2 vanity side tables in Miss Mustard Seed’s Typewriter for the living room and have a dresser I’m going to paint in Bergère, which I’ve never used before. I’ve used Miss Mustard Seed’s dried milk paint for years and I love the vintage-looking results on old pieces. You can find their products HERE. Use code 10OFFLB for a discount!
Saved from Salvage – Regina
RECYCLED GLASS VASE
I stumbled across this and fell in love. I have nothing shaped like this at all and I always think they are beautiful when I see them styled.
This is a game changer. I have very wavy hair and I spent years trying to get it straight by blow drying the heck out of it. This is the most amazing hair dryer. It dries so quickly and I lose the heat damage and noise I used to get from my old dryer. It also works perfectly when I’m drying Dempsey.
PICKLEBALL PHONE CASE
Have you played the fastest growing sport in the country yet? My son introduced me to this sport, it’s sort of taken over the place at my work. This is a fun new case to show where your heart is.
PETER RABBIT HAND SOAP SET
Ever since I did my son’s (34 years old) nursery, I’ve been obsessed with Peter Rabbit and Beatrix Potter. I still have a lamp and all the figurines he had as a baby. So of course when I spotted this at Williams and Sonoma I was like, yes please.
Sky Lark House – Anna
This month, I am looking forward to spring and everything associated with it. At the moment, I am actively incorporating rabbits into my home decor. Although we are expecting a foot of snow in upstate New York tonight, in my mind, I can see spring. Here are some of the things that I am using.
- This rabbit shaped cement planter is perfect for spring. It would be cute planted with some herbs.
- I love this pillow with the vintage rabbit print. It’s perfect for a corner chair or sofa.
- These rabbit book ends are adorable and would look great on an entryway table.
- Finally, I was so excited to see Mrs Meyers released their spring scents because I am buying these peony scented candles.
awesome posts from the web
The Cutest Spring Lantern Centerpiece is a great way to bring a touch of spring into your home!
These Spring Home Decor Ideas will have you dreaming of warmer temps!
Easter Tablescape Ideas will help you get ready for your spring gatherings!
Looking for ideas to celebrate St. Patty’s Day? These adorable Shamrock Cookies will inspire you!
Need an idea for an inexpensive Easter basket for a youngster? Here are some great Easter Basket Ideas that won’t break the bank!
thanks for stopping by today!
Visit my Amazon Storefront!
Click the button below and head over to our online shop on Amazon!
Until next time…
Hi Cindy – I am sorry to hear you and your husband haven’t been feeling well! Ugh. So many nasty bugs this year – and they seem to hang on forever. Loved your fireplace mantel that you created and I plan to watch your upholstery videos on You Tube. I am always amazed at how much content you continually produce! Have a great weekend!
Thankfully, we are on the mend! Thanks for stopping by Anna!
And THANK YOU for sharing my 5 Spring Home Decor ideas!!
You are welcome! I love your ideas 🙂
I need to pop over and check out your YouTube chair videos. I have a chair that needs help and the upholsterer isn’t willing to do what I want. It looks like I’m on my own…DIY to the rescue, but I’ve never tackled a chair before. 🙂
Be sure to watch the upholstery series Kim – I think it will be helpful. If you get jammed up with your chair project, feel free to reach out to me 🙂
Happy Weekend, Cindy! I hope you and your husband are feeling better. What a great collection of ideas you gathered for this post! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thanks for stopping by Lynne! Have a great week 🙂